Sunday, January 17, 2010

Bead Journal Project - January's done!

This is my first year participating in the Bead Journal Project, a group challenge for beaders that consists of a few simple guidelines.  The basics are: make a piece for each month of the year; choose the same size and shape for each piece; each piece must have some beads on it.  Outside of those guidelines, anything goes.  This year, there are over 300 participants from around the world.



My first piece for the year is called January Melt.  It's a 4 inch square of batik cotton.  I used glass seed beads and some small flower beads (and a fish!).  The work went pretty smoothly and I enjoyed doing it.  I think this will be a good project for me.  I tend to lack discipline in my artwork, so this will impose a few easy rules that might help me in that regard.

15 comments:

  1. Congratulations on finishing January's piece already!!! The leaves look like they're floating in water... I'm so intrigued by the title... Will you explain a little about why you named it January Melt and what the fish signifies? Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was looking through my fabrics for this month's piece, I found this blue and green piece and it just felt right. I found that I really wanted to bead around the leaves on the batik, and as I looked at it and talked it over with friends, it just seemed like it might be a stream in the winter that has melted during a warm stretch (as we have just had here). The dead leaves, left from the fall, are flowing down stream, and a little fishy has come out of hibernation to observe. Plus I just like fish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great start to your first BJP. I love working with batiks and you used it beautifully. Way to go!
    Arline

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on completing your 1st page. Thank you for the description of your thought in creating the page.

    I'm going to like visiting here often. I love he DOD skulls you have created! I love DOD art.
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like what you've done. It totally looks like a January Melt to me! :- )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Robin was right, the leaves were meant to look like they are floating on water. I also love using batik fabrics. This is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love how it works with the background fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with everyone else - I just love the batik background. It really brings it to life, I think. Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks so much, everyone. I really enjoyed myself and can't wait to start February.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the explanation, Ann! I'm glad I came back here to see if you had posted anything else... Robin A.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How beautiful! I loved the choice of colors and the sense of life re-emerging.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so glad you're doing the project this year! This is a lovely beginning :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very nice, love the style & the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  14. excellent fabric and bead choices for your topic. It looks like a thaw!

    ReplyDelete